Ancestry saliva tests are the fastest and easiest way to take a DNA analysis thanks to its multiple advantages: decreases the risk of exposing researchers to dangerous samples, it’s not an invasive method like blood tests and it’s usually more affordable, facilitating its access to almost everyone .
Step by step: take the ancestry DNA saliva test at home
The process of taking an ancestry DNA test begins by purchasing a kit in our online shop. Once the order is placed, we’ll send you a box with all the items that you need – even the ancestry DNA test instructions to correctly collect the saliva sample. Anyway, let’s take a step-by-step look at them:
An important aspect before taking the ancestry saliva test: remember not to eat, drink, smoke, brush your teeth or chew gum during the hour before collecting the sample.
At the time you go to collect the saliva sample the steps to follow are as follows:
- Wash your hands with soap and water or clean them with hydroalcoholic gel.
- Make sure that the stabilizing liquid in the tube is approximately at the 2ml level.
- Unscrew the cap from the tube and screw on the funnel.
- Fill the saliva tube to the 4 ml line, not counting the bubbles.
- Unscrew the funnel and screw the cap back on.
- Shake the tube several times to mix the saliva with the stabilizing buffer.
- Fill in the two copies of the form and stick a barcode sticker on each copy.
- Put the tube with the saliva sample and one of the copies of the Ancestrum form in the envelope included in the kit.
- Send us the envelope by mail or courier. In a few weeks you will receive your Ancestrum report at the email address you provided when you registered your kit.
Don’t forget to register your kit on the Ancestrum website. This step is very important and necessary to sequence your sample, so that you tell us what your saliva sample is so that we can then correctly classify the results.
Seven results in one test
Our ancestry saliva test is very complete, as it includes seven different aspects of ancestry, thus knowing your ancestors practically in their entirety. For this reason, the report contain seven different analyses:
- Geographic ancestry. Since the origins, the human being has been in constant movement, creating different populations and cultures and mixing among them. The geographic ancestry test shows you the full path of your ancestors, so you can know where they were from in today’s geographic context.
- Ethnic ancestry. Throughout history, different ethnic groups have been created that share socio-cultural traits: language, religion, culture, values, customs, etc. Your genes contain information about those with which your lineage is associated, so with this test you can discover the ethnicities of the world with which you have greater genetic similarity.
- Historical ancestry. This study shows you the origins of your ancestors in different periods of history, from the Paleolithic to the Middle Ages (1,300 A.D.) In addition, we explain in detail what each of these periods refers to.
- Maternal haplographography. Your maternal lineage refers to all your ancestry on the maternal side. Through a study of your mitochondrial haplogroups (the mitochondria is inherited exclusively from the mother) we analyze the mitochondrial DNA to see what your maternal lineage is, being able to know also its migrations since about 200,000 years ago.
- Paternal haplographography. In this case, the Y chromosome is used to study your haplogroups. It is inherited from fathers to sons, since it is the sex chromosome that defines the male sex. Thanks to its analysis we obtain your paternal lineage and its migrations for more than 150,000 years. In this case, it is an exclusive study of biological men.
- Through the analysis of your haplogroups, in this study we can see with which famous figures you are linked at some point in your family tree.
- 40,000 years ago, Neanderthals coexisted with humans, with the possibility of genetic mixing. Find out, with this test, what percentage of Neanderthal DNA is in your genome.
Thanks to these seven analyses you will have a complete picture of your ancestry and discover facts that maybe you couldn’t even imagine!
Ancestrum, a window into your past
Ancestrum traces your origins using more than 700,000 genetic markers, which allow us to reach a great level of detail. All through a saliva ancestry test that can be taken by anyone.
Now that you know how to take the ancestry DNA test and what information it offers, it’s time to order the most complete genetic study of the market with free worldwide shipping!
- Miller S. M. (1994). Saliva testing–a nontraditional diagnostic tool. Clinical laboratory science : journal of the American Society for Medical Technology, 7(1), 39–44. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10172036/